Monday, May 24, 2010

Scherer Calypso

           Good morning to everyone! I hope the Monday blues aren't hitting folks too hard. I'm personally feeling a little down about my nails, because they refuse to cooperate with my dreams. Can you believe that I broke another nail over the weekend? This time, it was thanks to my little cousin who swears that he's a stuntman. He was showing me his flying kick, and of course, he kicked the pinky nail right off my left hand. I picked the fool thing up off the floor and glued it back on, because I really love that nail and I wasn't going to give up on it. I'm so mad. Not at him, but at my nail. Man, this sucks. *roars*
        Now that I've got that out of my system, I can talk about what I really meant to talk about: Scherer Calypso, from the Chameleon line. 


Calypso is a frosty duochrome. Its main color is a silvery-lavender, but it shows green and blue as well. 
Also, I replaced my patch! It's not perfect, but it's better, so I can stop complaining about it.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash. This is a really unflattering angle, but I wanted to show the color change. 

Natural light, no flash.

      Calypso is such a beautiful duochrome. The color change is obvious and fun to watch, although I'm not too keen on the frosty finish. 
      Although Calypso is beautiful, applying it sucked! There was lots of cuticle drag, the polish felt too thick and it wasn't easy to spread, brush strokes were visible, and the bubbles were horrific. All my fingers looked like this:




     I tried to ignore it and go about my day, but no ma'am. I had to take that mess off...it was just too ooglay. When I reapplied it, I was ridiculously slow and meticulous, and that helped some, although I still have bubbles and some visible brush strokes. I'm not surprised though, because Blue Sky gave me some application issues as well. Additionally, wear is horrible. I've been wearing this application for two days now, and I'm already getting cracking and chipping. 
    Overall, I'd say that I'm pretty much torn about Calypso. I love duochromes, and colorwise, this polish is a real winner. But putting it on was just too hellish for me to honestly say that I like Calypso. So I guess I'll call it a draw, and say that I feel meh about this one. I won't be getting anymore Chameleon polishes because I can't do it with the application. But I will say that I sincerely hope that CQ or Scherer reworks the formula on them, because these polishes are really quite lovely. It's a shame that something like formula would be what sinks them.