Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Earth Week Day 7: Scherer Chameleon Blue Sky

           LOL, this has been the longest week in history, but it's finally drawing to a close. Today, I'm wearing Blue Sky from Scherer Cosmetics' Chameleon line. I thought this one would be fitting because with some environmental stewardship, we can have blue skies all the time, instead of brown or yellow or black.


Blue Sky is a strong, frosty/metallic (honestly, I can't really tell the difference sometimes) duochrome. Its base color is a mid-range blue, and it shows lots of violet, green, and silver.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Indoors, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

       Blue Sky is fabulous. My pictures don't really capture how nice this one is. Most of the time, my nails are violet, with green and blue hovering at the corners. But with a tilt of my hand, the whole nail goes green, or the violet is reduced to a sliver, with the nail showing primarily blue. Or the violet ends up at the edges, and the nail is mostly green. As you can imagine, this makes it terribly entertaining to watch my fingers type. And I don't know what it is about this polish, but damn son...it makes my nails look good! They look all long and sexy! 
    But every rose has its thorn, and Blue Sky is no exception to the rule. The application of this was tough, because of the awful cuticle drag. The only way to avoid it was to really load up the brush and to never try to go back and correct brushstrokes. It sucked. And I got some bubbles when it dried. However, the color is nicely pigmented. It would have been a two-coater, if I didn't have to apply another one to even out brushtrokes and dragged places. Also, dry time was great. I slapped on Poshe and ten minutes later, I was in bed. In the morning, my polish was pristine, except for the bubbles, so yay! 
   And even though the application was hellish, I'm still wearing this one again and I'm going to recommend it to people too. A duochrome of this strength for only $2.99 is nothing to trifled with. The Chameleon line are all duochromes and can be found exclusively in Rite Aids, although other polishes by this company can be found in Walmart too. 

  And the tip for today is simple, but may take some discipline: don't buy cosmetics from companies that test on animals. Admittedly, this doesn't really have anything to do with saving Earth as a whole. But animals are an important part of the world, and we have to look out for them. And covering them with potentially harmful chemicals is not looking out for them. I won't be buying any cosmetics that have been tested on animals, no matter how great the lemming. I also plan on going through my collection and purging any polishes that have been tested on animals, and I hope others will join me. If you find six or more, maybe you can do the Zoya Polish Swap thing. And if not, then maybe you can donate them to a women's shelter. Or return them to the store if you still have the receipt. I can understand why medication is tested on animals, because medication can save lives. But eyeshadow is just not that serious. 
This post on Nevertoomuchglitter features a great list of companies that are and are not cruelty-free. The list isn't exhaustive, but it's a great reference point. And FYI, CQ and Scherer Cosmetics (the makers of Blue Sky) are cruelty-free. I made sure to write in and ask. ^_^

And with that, Earth Week is officially OVAH!!  And I can finally wear some other colors...I'm embarrassed to say that I've been craving red.