Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Earth Week Day 3: China Glaze Beauty and the Beach

           Today, on this glorious rainy third day of Earth Week, I'm wearing Beauty and the Beach from China Glaze. I think this is discontinued, but it's not HTF. On ebay, it's going for a reasonable price (around 3 bucks), although I got mine from the clearance bin in a local nail supply shop for a dollah! ^_^


Beauty and the Beach is an electric, shimmery turquoise blue. The shimmer flashes sea green too, although I wouldn't call this a duochrome. 

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

    This is one of very few light blue polishes in my collection, but surprise! I like it! ^_^
The brightness and shimmer are magnetic, and I like looking at my hands with this on. I think it makes my nails look longer too. 
     But death to this formula!! Death and all kinds of destruction!! Firstly, this is ridiculously sheer. This is FOUR coats of color over one coat of Sally Hansen White On. I can't imagine how many I'd need if I didn't use the white. And actually applying it was a royal PITA. It streaked and dragged....fought me at every single turn. Although the nails on this hand came out pretty smoothly, on my right hand, you can see brushstrokes and all kinds of tromfoolery. I also got a little bubbling and dry time was awful...that's how my index finger got wrinkled up, although that may just be due to all the coats.  
    So even though I like this color, I probably will not be using it too often. I can't go through what I just went through again.

   Finally, the tip for today is: Grow a green thumb! Even if you don't have a sprawling backyard in which to plant a garden, get a few potted plants for your windowsill. Or participate in a local tree-planting event, which happens in many communities, especially around Earth Day. Plants purify the air by sucking up carbon dioxide and producing fresh oxygen for everyone to breathe, and can help improve mood and morale, especially in the case of bright flowering plants. They're really easy to take care of as well...just a little water and sunlight is all you need. And if you don't have the time or attention span to pay close attention to a plant, that's okay. Get a cactus. They perform photosynthesis too! ^_^

And with that, I am off to work. Where there is no sunlight, or air, and the only plant is dead and crispy and depressing to look at. :(