Thursday, September 9, 2010

Psuedo-Franken

       Omg, this afternoon I had a nightmare about my nails. I took a nap, and dreamed that I added some topcoat to my current mani, to spruce it up. After adding the topcoat, I started doing something or another, and when I looked back down, the topcoat had eaten through my nail polish and was demolishing my fingernails and nail beds. Like, my fingers looked like sausages...all puffed up and bright red. And my fingernails were itty bitty things...I could barely even see them for all the swelling. Ugh, I'm getting chills just thinking about what it looked like. Anyway, I woke up in a cold sweat, thisclose to screaming bloody murder. Like, when I woke up, my mouth was opening to scream. Does anyone else have nightmares about their nails? Sometimes, I really feel genuine concern about my brain. And even worse, for the rest of the day, I kept on looking down at my nails and shuddering. Behold...the face of fear:


Okay, so I've wanted to make a glittery franken for a long time. But I'm too scared of unforseen chemical reactions and explosions and glass flying in my eyes, blinding me forever or at the very least causing me pain.  So I decided to take the stuff that I was going to franken with and layer them instead. Which to me seemed completely safe and non-dangerous. I guess my subconscious didn't get the memo.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.
I blurred a little to show glittah.
      
To make this look, I used (in this order):
2 coats of Finger Paints Sapphire Shimmer
1 coat of Poshe Top Coat

    I tried to keep the coats thin, because after six coats of polish, nails can get disgustingly thick. I ended up having to let the polish dry a little bit and then gently pressing it down into the nail to better integrate the layers and to thin out the polish. I wouldn't have tried it with regular polish because there would be unevenness and fingerprints, but thankfully, glitter is very forgiving.
   And even though it was a ton of work and gave me a horrible nightmare, I really love how this looks. It's so loud and sparkly, and it has a really cute jelly finish. I wish that I could see more of the golden specks from Absolutely Alice though. Maybe if I try this again, I'll add a thin coat of Nubar Angelic Glitter somewhere in there.
  The only problem with this is that I really don't know how I'm gonna take it off. Frankly, I'm a little scared. 
But that's all I have for today. Have a great night!