Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sinful Colors Seaweed and Open Seas

       So as you all have almost certainly heard, Sinful Colors recently released a collection which bears an uncanny resemblance to OPI's Pirates of the Caribbean collection. I personally don't like when polish companies purposely dupe one another's stuff, but that sure didn't stop me from rolling into Rite Aid and picking up a few polishes for myself. So for today, I have Sinful Colors Seaweed and Open Seas, from the Adventure Island Collection. 
Also, I somehow forgot to take the close-up pictures for these, so mea culpa. 


Seaweed is a pale and dusty sage green creme, and is supposed to be a dupe for OPI Stranger Tides.
Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

    Although I had my reservations about how it would look on me, I ended up really liking Seaweed. The shade of green is pretty unusual, and as a person who generally does not do well with pastels, I'm very happy with Seaweed's grungier and dingier tone. I think that the extra dose of grey and brown in there helped to soften the finish of the polish, which in turn made it much more wearable for me.


Open Seas is a  seafoam green creme with a hint of dustiness, and is supposed to be a dupe for OPI Mermaids Tears.
Sunlight, no flash. 

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

       Of the two that I got, Open Seas is my favorite. It has that same grungy, dingy flavor of Seaweed (probably because of the grey), but Open Seas is brighter and more appealing to the eye. The cool shade of green is so super relaxing to look at for some reason, and it was also was surprisingly soft against my skin tone.
    
     In terms of formula, Seaweed and Open Seas were identically nice. They both went on smoothly, leveled themselves well, and required two coats for creamy perfection. My only complaint is that both colors took forever to dry and I noticed some minor bubbling for no reason.
   But little application issues (and the fact that OPI kicked Sinful's ass when it came to naming) aside, these are great for the money and would make fine alternatives for the PotC colors. I'll still have to spring for Skull and Glossbones, but I'm content to cross Stranger Tides and Mermaids Tears off my list. 

And that's all from me for today! Thanks for reading, and have a gorgeous first day of summer!! *throws sun-shaped confetti*