Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Urban Decay Bruise

            I'm so mad at my nails...they just refuse to obey me. I had another break and a split on my left hand on Sunday, and instead of fixing them, I opted to cut everything off and start fresh. So pretty much, right now my nails are rightt back to where they were in March. I'm trying to be optimistic, because it is easier to do things now, and I can enjoy the Bundle Monster plates more easily. Plus, now my nails can grow back strong and healthy. But I can't help but still be mad. Maybe if I baby them, they will be back by August? Bleh, idk. 
       But that's enough whining for today. I'm going to move on to what I reallyy wanted to talk about, which is Urban Decay Bruise, the first in a trio of beautiful, but very sadly, discontinued colors. 
Also, please excuse my disgusting hangnail. 


Bruise is an interesting fusion of blackened eggplant and peacock blue, with a strong green shimmer. In the picture, the shimmer is showing blue (my camera is obsessed with blue) but really..it's green.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash. 

      I realllyy failed at capturing the aptly-named Bruise. Aptly named because it really does remind one of a bruise.Both have that slightly sickening but oddly fascinating quality where purple, blue, and black morph together to form an ugly-beautiful color that sort of defies description. The green shimmer is a great detail and elevates the overall look from just being a bruise to being a bruise-colored beetle sitting in the sun. Very pretty.
    Application was okay too. The first coat was a little streaky, but it got much smoother and easier as I put on more coats. The pictures are with three coats, and one layer of topcoat. Drying time was exceptionally good too, because normally, I can just use an orangewood stick to push the polish off my nail after I'm done swatching it. Polishes usually come off in one big, plastick-y lump. But with Bruise, I couldn't do that because it had completely dried in the ten or so minutes that it took me to take my pictures.
    Even though they don't make Bruise no more, it's happily not so hard to find! It's still available through ebay for a reasonable price. I purchased mine from sledgely76, and got fast shipping and awesome service from her. 
  And finally, I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me hang on to my nails. Right now, I try to keep my hands moisturized, I use a glass file, I clean under my nails with a brush, I never use my nails as tools, I don't pick at things, I use Duri, and I take biotin. I'm also going to switch back to Beauty Secrets remover, as well as making sure to scrub my nails before painting. Maybe residual nail polish remover is drying them out and making them break? If there's anything else I'm forgetting or if there's something that you do or use that works well for you, I'd be super happy to hear about it. Thanks! ^_^