Thursday, January 27, 2011

Milani Silver Dazzle

           When Milani released a line of what they called "one coat glitters" late last year, I was simultaneously skeptical and elated. Elated, because I love me some glitter and to get it opaque in one coat has always been a dream. But skeptical because it kind of felt like...the Loch Ness Monster. Like, logically, you know it shouldn't exist. But there's always the chance that it really is out there. So when CVS finally had a BOGO on Milani, I strapped on my boots and walked for hours until I found a display with the colors that I wanted. One of them was Silver Dazzle. 


Milani was really innovative with how they formulated this. Basically, Silver Dazzle is a shitload of teeny square black and charcoal grey glitter in a clear base. That stuff essentially comes together to form like...glitter soup. Then, in the glitter soup, you have lots of small square silver glitter. So the whole entire polish actually sparkles, but the silver glitter on the top sparkles the hardest. It looks really cool. 

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, with gentle flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

     So the name isn't the most creative, but Silver Dazzle is amazing. I love love love how the silver glitter looks against the charcoal base in natural light. And in sunlight, I love how Silver Dazzle like...explodes. The silver glitter is so uber sparkly, and then in the background, you have tiny flashes and stuff from the mini-glitter in the base picking up on the light. I couldn't get a good picture to express it, but if you look at some of the nails that aren't in focus, you can see a bit of what I'm talking about. It's like wearing glassphalt on your nails. Love this one!
    Formula-wise, I had my issues with Silver Dazzle. It had a bad habit of gunking up at the neck of the bottle, and I couldn't really get it smooth at the edges. You can see some of that on my pinky in the last picture. However, Milani did not lie...Silver Dazzle is essentially a one coat glitter. I ended up needing two to even out thinner spots, but someone could get away with one thick coat, if they were careful. Silver Dazzle dried matte (which actually looked kind of cool) and ultra gritty,  so you will definitely need to use a topcoat here. But because the whole thing is glitter, Silver Dazzle eats topcoat the way that I eat cake. I used three coats of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, and I can still feel some texture on my nails, so for a really glassy finish, you'll need lots and lots of topcoat. On the upside, it dries really fast and looks kickass. 

But that's all I've got for today! Thanks for reading and have an awesome night! ^_^