Monday, February 28, 2011

OPI Big Hair...Big Nails

        For today, I have OPI Big Hair...Big Nails from the Texas Collection. BHBN (as I shall call it from here on out) is one of the six polishes in the collection that feature OPI's brand new and totally unique sorbet finish.


BHBN is an orange-leaning, bright coral jelly. 

Sunlight, no flash.
And sorry about the shrinkage.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, noflash.

Sunlight, no flash.

     I really like BHBN's color...it pulls really orange on me and is not particularly unique, but I still like it. It's so bright and cheerful, and evokes thoughts of summer days on a tropical beach. It also reminds me of the delicious papayas in Del Monte's Tropical Fruit Salad.  And as a jelly aficionado, I love how shiny and squishy the finish is.
   But Lord have mercy upon this formula. At first, I enjoyed BHBN's liquid-y, non-streaky formula, but the lack of pigmentation started to get to me. I ended up needing five coats of polish to achieve the opacity in the pictures. I only used a milky base coat beneath, so next time I use this, I'll definitely put on underwear first.
   And as far as the sorbet finish goes, it's bullshit. I feel like OPI's marketing department made it up to get people more interested in a collection that would have otherwise gotten a lukewarm reception. This stuff is just plain old jelly polish...nothing new, special, or revolutionary about it.  However, I do have to give OPI's marketing people a shiny gold star and a cookie, for unlike mice and men, their plan totally worked. 

And that's all I've got for today. Thanks for reading!