Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nina Ultra Pro Molten Ruby

           Bleh more horrible weather today. Which means more horrible pictures of my current mani, Nina Ultra Pro Molten Ruby. I was planning on putting MAC Bad Fairy on top, but with the weather being what it is, I figured that would be a waste, and decided to just wear this alone instead. I'll probably have to revisit it too.


      But before I get to the pictures, I wanted to talk about something actually important. As we all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I'm not going to give a big speech, because a bunch of other blogs have talked about how important this month is wayyy better than I ever could. But for my part, I'm going to place a special emphasis on pink polishes this month, and I will also have a link at the top of every page that I am seriously begging everybody to click once daily. For every 45,000 clicks at that site, one woman will get a free mammogram that could save her life. Just think about that...you could help keep one less mother, sister, aunt, cousin, friend, niece, wife, grandmother, and woman from being lost to this horrible disease. All you have to do is literally lift a finger. It really only takes a second, so please click it. And if you have a blog or facebook or whatever, please put the link somewhere on it, so as many people can get access to it as possible. Thanks!!

  Okay, here's Molten Ruby:

Molten Ruby is a shimmery magenta duochrome that flashes an orangey-copper color. However, in most lights and at most angles, I didn't see the duochrome. 

Artificial light, with flash.
This is the magenta that I saw most of the time. It's pretty, but not particularly exciting. 


Natural light, no flash.
And here is when the more duochrome-y look comes out, which is pretty and exciting. I noticed this more in lower lighting. 


Natural light, no flash.
To really see the duochrome, I had to tilt my hands alot.


Natural light, no flash.


Natural light, no flash.
             
         Hmmm....Molten Ruby...what can I say about it? It's a pretty polish, although I don't think it looks good on me. The dominant shade of magenta isn't as vibrant as I wanted, and I just don't think it flatters my skin at all. Additionally, it's disappointing that Molten Ruby wasn't a stronger duochrome, because I actually really liked the coppery color. It's so sad that my favorite part of the polish is AWOL about 85% of the time. For these reasons, I probably wouldn't be too keen to wear it by itself...it's quite far from ooglay, but it's not one of my favorites, either. However, I do feel more confident that Molten Ruby will serve as a nice base for Bad Fairy, and it would look great under a Konad pattern. I also think that a thin coat of this would be pretty layered over a black or some other darker color. 
       Application-wise, Molten Ruby was really nice to me. The formula was quite smooth and thin in a good way. Like, it was thin enough to spread easily, but not so thin that opacity was an issue. On the contrary, Molten Ruby was opaque in only two coats, which makes me think that it would also be good for stamping Konad, and not just as a base for a design. 
         
    And that's all I have for today! Have a great night!