Sunday, April 3, 2011

Zoya Phoebe + China Glaze Lightning Bolt

         Today, I have Phoebe from Zoya's recently released Mod Mattes Collection. I was actually wearing it yesterday too, for Autism Awareness Day, but the weather sucked, so I couldn't take pictures. But better late than never, right? 


Phoebe is an electric azure blue polish with really fine silver shimmer, all in a matte finish.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

And some shots of her with topcoat:

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

     Okay, I love Phoebe. The shade of blue is bright and fun without being too much. And the silver shimmer is a beautiful touch. Phoebe is unmistakably matte, which is good in my book. I mean, if you're gonna be a matte, commit to it. But the silver shimmer cuts the finish a little, giving Phoebe a nice bit of dimension. With topcoat, Phoebe perks up a bit and the shimmer is more prominent. It actually reminds me a bit of China Glaze Blue Sparrow with topcoat.
    Applying Phoebe was hellish. The consistency was fine, but it was so streaky! After four tries, I managed to get a relatively smooth finish by using really generous coats, working fast, never going back to correct a brushstroke, and using a very light hand with the brush. Also, Phoebe was surprisingly sheer for a matte, needing three coats to be fully opaque. On the upside though, it didn't dry as fast as most other mattes I have, which gave me a bit of time to work with it.

But today, Phoebe was struck with a Lightning Bolt, courtesy of China Glaze. 
Ahh, how I yearn to call this polish White Lightning. 


Self explanatory. 

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

    I really like this combo...it reminds me of acid wash jeans! I really wanted them when I was a kid, but my mom wouldn't let me. She always bought the boring Wranglers from K-Mart. The ones with the tapered ankles that give you diaper butt. :(
   
And that's all I've got for today! Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend! 

ETA: For the love of all that is good and holy, please wear a good base coat with Phoebe. I lazily skipped it and now my nails are a disgusting shade of green-blue.  ;_;