Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Milani Dress Maker

           Hello everyone! Last night, when I was trying to pick a new color to wear, I came to the abject realization that fall is in fact, not my bitch lover. Which means that no matter how many fall colors I wear, thanks to global warming, fall is not coming any time soon. So I decided to try something brighter and more summery, which is how I ended up with Milani Dress Maker on my hands today. I got pictures, but I need to just disclaim that this color played all kinds of mind games with my camera. And it played games with me when I tried to correct the pictures. So these pictures are going to look crazy as hell. Okay, here we go:


Firstly, I need to say that this color is wildly incorrect. It does not look like this. But anyway, Dress Maker is a mint green creme with some secret  green shimmer. Dress Maker's shade of mint has a bit more yellow to it than it has blue. 

Sunlight, no flash.
This picture is much more accurate, although it's still not perfect.

Sunlight, no flash.
Same deal...more accurate, but not perfect.

Sunlight, no flash. 
The color here is very wrong, but I think you can really see the shimmer here. 

   Plain and simple, I do not like Dress Maker. I know it's blasphemy, but I don't like it! It's so ugly. I will say that the color grew a little on me more as I went about my day, but I still think it's ugly. More on that later. But anyway, halfway through the day, I  decided to bling it up a little bit. Oddly, the color in these pictures is close to perfect representations of what Dress Maker looks like, without me having to do anything. I think it's because the light here was more yellow, thanks to the setting sun.


Sunlight, no flash.
This is one coat of Sinful Colors Green Ocean and two coats of Finger Paints Floatin' on a Cloud. And one thick layer of topcoat to make everything sparkle and shine.

Natural light, no flash. 

Sunlight, no flash.
Here you can see a little bit more of the Green Ocean than the FoaC. It's the blue flakes.


Sunlight, no flash.
And this one is to show how sparkly it was (look at the back two fingers!) and how thick my nails ended up. Looked like I had bad acrylics on. Smh!

      Dress Maker...how do I dislike thee? Let me count the ways! 
1. It's so ugly!! This shade of mint made my tummy hurt...it reminded me a little of swamp creatures. And it looked horrible on me...it pulled out the yellow in my skin and made my hands look sickly.
2. You can almost never see the shimmer. Such a waste, to have such pretty shimmer and hide it all the time.
3. It tells lies! On my camera, it came out this pretty, flattering green. Like, an almost Tiffany Blue green. See:



I also saw it this color in some swatches. But they were all lies. Liessss. It's not the color of understated luxury...it's the color of swamp things from the swamp!!
   
    Application-wise, Dress Maker was even more of a failure. The formula is very thin, and it took three moderately thick coats to get it to bottle color. Then I had to use a fourth coat to smooth out places where the polish dragged and left thin spots. Dry time was pretty bad too...I painted, used quick dry topcoat, used drying drops, waited an hour, and then went to bed. In the morning, I woke to sheet marks. And my nails were still a tiny bit dentable. No bueno...how you gonna do me like this, Milani? ;___;
    But you know, it's my own fault. I really should have known better. Blah blah, Chanel dupe, blah blah yeah. Buut...I knew going in that I don't really like Chanel polish. The only ones that were even remotely interesting to me were Paradoxal and Illusion D'Or, but I don't need them in my life. So I really should have known that I would not like Dress Maker...that's what I get for getting caught up in hype. LMAO.
   So I'm going to dig around until I find the receipt. I hope I didn't throw it out...there wasn't a coupon on it, so I bet I did throw it out. If I can't find the receipt, I'll just take the L and charge it to the game. Or maybe I can swap it. I think there are plenty of people out there that will appreciate this color and look fantastic in it, but I'm just not one of them. *sad horns*
   That's all I've got for today! Have a good night, everyone!