Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wet n Wild Gray's Anatomy

           The other day, I was in Walgreens when I stumbled upon the Wet n Wild display for this spring. It had already been ransacked so there was not much left. But I did find this little guy cowering in the cornerof the bottom shelf, so I scooped him up and brought him home. Meet Gray's Anatomy! (Have I ever mentioned that I hate how Americans spell grey? It's just looks wrong).


Gray's Anatomy is a very pale, frosty silvery-grey polish with a strong duochrome effect. It mostly looks silvery-grey with a lavender flash, but it can look blue and green, as well as a little bit gold.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash.

Natural light, no flash.

     Gray's Anatomy is such a beautiful and complex polish. It just has this awesome airy, ephemeral feeling to it, and there are so many colors! When you're still, you get the silvery base with the lavender shimmer floating on top. But as soon as your hand starts moving, you get all this blue and green coming out of nowhere. The whole thing reminds me of a gasoline rainbow. Or maybe a younger, more washed-out version of Zoya's Ki. Gray's Anatomy did end up a tad bit brushtrokey, but I liked the brushtrokes. Upon drying, they looked a bit like ribbons of shimmer, so you didn't notice them if you weren't looking too closely.
     But as lovely as the color is, Gray's Anatomy's formula drove me absolutely crazy. It's very thin and sheer, so it took four coats before I was satisfied with the coverage. But that in itself was fine, since the polish went on super smooth. What made it annoying was that after all those coats, the polish would just bubble up. I reapplied Gray's Anatomy to my left hand no less than five times, trying to get a bubble free application. Normally, it wouldn't be that serious at all, but with this finish, bubbles are like...ten times as ugly. I couldn't just leave them there. Maybe the polish just didn't like me, but I would advise others to let every single layer dry all the way. It took forever (fastdry my ass) but it was the only way I could avoid bubbles. 
    However, I would still recommend Gray's Anatomy to anyone who loves duochrome polish. It really is quite pretty, it's uber-cheap ($1.99) and is supposed to be a dupe to Deborah Lippmann's Wicked Game. Nothing like saving $14 + shipping to ease the sting of a bad application. ^_^
   
But that's all I've got for today! Thanks for reading and have a great night! :D