Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rescue Beauty Lounge Starfish Patrick

           After like...weeks of wearing nothing but glitters and shimmers, my eyes needed a break. The light reflecting off my tips was burning out my retinas. So for today, I wanted to wear something demure, but still pretty and interesting. I recently acquired a color that perfectly fit the bill and that I'd been wanting to try, so I slapped it on. Here's Rescue Beauty Lounge Starfish Patrick, from the Spongebob Squarepants Collection.


Starfish Patrick is tough to describe. RBL's website calls it as a "peachy coral", which isn't inaccurate. But looking at it on my hands, I think it pulls a bit orange. But not like...disgusting orange. More like a milky, warm, pinky-cantaloupe shade.


Sunlight, no flash.


Sunlight, no flash.


Sunlight, no flash.


Natural light, no flash.


Sunlight, no flash.


Sunlight, no flash.

    Okay, I adore Starfish Patrick.  It's very sophisticated and adult looking, but thanks to the slightly squishy-looking texture, it's still pretty fun and young. It also has this sandy feel to it that makes me think of the beach and the ocean. And best of all, it looks like Patrick! How can anyone hate something that looks like Patrick? He's so lovable and cute. Although it's ironic how arguably the dumbest character in the whole show would inspire what I think is the most refined-looking polish in the collection. 
   But as much as I love the shade, Starfish Patrick's application nearly made me weep. It was extra streaky, and even after three coats, there was still uneveness and bald spots. I ended up dabbing polish in the bald spots, letting that dry for a few minutes, and then going over the whole thing with one more coat to make it more even-looking. I think that worked pretty well, because from afar, it looks smooth. But close up, I can see uneven patches. And there are bubbles, which displeases me. On the upside, the dry time was quite good. And despite the thinness of the formula, it was very easy to control. In the pictures, I used one layer of Barielle Natural Nail Camouflage, four medium thickness coats of color, and one layer of topcoat.