Friday, June 4, 2010

Orly Star of Bombay + Fauxnad

           Yay, it's Friday!!
           .....is what I should be saying. Unfortunately, I am saying no such thing because in my quest for summer employment, I lazily went through the city-run agency that places students with employers. Today, they're making me come in (for the third time in as many days) and get "counseling" about how to conduct myself in a professional environment and how to manage my credit. So I get to go to spend my Friday afternoon in a sweltering, noisy, and messy office being lectured about things that I already know about. I kind of want to just not work with them, but a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush and all that jazz. Since I woke up in a bad mood thanks to these people, I wanted to wear something dark on my nails and chose Orly Star of Bombay, from the Gems Collection.


Star of Bombay is a deep, jewel-toned, shimmery, navy blue. Like, if you've ever seen one of those borderline black sapphires, it looks like those.

Like this. 

Sunlight, no flash. The picture is washed out, but the color is accurate. 

Natural light, no flash.

Natural light, flash.

     I really like Star of Bombay. It's all deep, dark and mysterious, and bright sunlight really catches the shimmer and makes it glow from the inside. I admit that indoors, it could be mistaken for black, but if you look closely, you can still see that it's blue. Looking at it makes me think of the ocean at night.
    The application and formula were really nice too. The pictures are with two coats of color and one layer of topcoat. The coats applied really smoothly and easily, and full opacity could actually be achieved in one thick coat. I only used two because I wanted something to do besides think of this afternoon. 

After painting my nails and a few episodes of Reno911!, I felt a little better. It really doesn't take much to improve my mood. Since I was happier, I didn't feel like wearing a funeral on my nails anymore. But I didn't want to take Star of Bombay off, because that would be such a waste. So I fauxnaded over it. I wanted to use Orly Snowcone...I love the look of konads with dark and light shades from the same color family. But I don't have Orly Snowcone, so that wasn't going to be possible. I ended up using Color Club Revvvolution instead, and I think that turned out pretty well. 

I used the floral pattern from BM20. Because it's skinny and small, and my thumb nail plate is wide, I had to like...quadruple stamp it to get all the corners and edges.

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash. Sorry for the dry cuticle corners.

    I like this look. It's really simple, but the holo makes it more interesting. And it reminds me of one of those old couches that you always find in nursing homes. And best of all, they're Ravenclaw colors!! When I was in the Harry Potter club in high school, I got placed in Ravenclaw and we had so much fun. We did nerdy things, like spending Friday night eating and watching the whole DVD set of Planet Earth , but we surely had fun. I'm not into Harry Potter anymore...I didn't even read the last book and am not remotely interested in watching the latest movies. But I will always look back on my Ravenclaw days with fondness.
   Okay, I'm off to my awesome counseling sesh. I hope everyone else enjoys their Friday afternoons more than I will!  :)