Saturday, June 12, 2010

Nina Ultra Pro Purple-Xing

            I've been wanting to do a post about Nina Ultra Pro Purple-Xing for a really long time. I've actually worn it about three or four times, but there was always something interfering with the picture taking...not enough time, dry ugly cuticles, bad weather, couldn't find my camera, a chipped nail, etc. But today, everything happened to work well enough together that I could take pictures. My cuticles still look kind of busted, but that's okay.


Purple-Xing is kind of complicated. It's a mid-range purple jelly base packed with a riot of multi-sized glitter. There's round, square, and hex glitter, and they're silver, violet, and holographic, with some of the larger hex glitter being that like...transparent, opalescent stuff. And then running beneath all that stuff, there's a electric blue shimmer thing going on. It's ridiculously entertaining to look at. 

Sunlight, no flash.

Sunlight, no flash. 
The second one is blurred a bit to show a little bit of how Purple-Xing sparkles in the light.

Natural light, no flash.


Sunlight, no flash.
I think you can see a little bit of the blue shimmer thing I mentioned earlier.

      Purple-Xing is one of my favorite purple polishes in my collection. I can't really give it a solid rank, but it's definitely up there. It's just so flashy and fun, and I really appreciate all the thought and work that I'm sure must have gone into this color. And for the money, it's a great value. 
   Application was just okay. Purple-Xing seemed on the watery side to me, so it was a little difficult to control, but that aside, there were no problems. It was perfectly opaque in three coats, but dried a little gritty. I used two coats of Out the Door Topcoat and one layer of Poshe on top to get it perfectly smooth and shiny. Dry time was reasonable as well. I went to sleep 30 minutes after application, and there were no sheet marks, wrinkles, or dings that I could see or feel. And as far as I can tell, it wears fantastically. I wore it for five days at one point, and when I took it off, there was no chipping and barely any tipwear. 
  My only solid gripe about Purple-Xing is the name. Why though? Why name it that? How do you even say it? Purple Crossing? Purple Shing? Purple Exing? Purple Christing? How? I would have been happier if they had named it Purple Glitter. Or even the terrifically overused Purple Rain would have been better. Or Barney's Tweaking. Anything but Purple-Xing.